Changing your perspective

A few weeks ago there was this huge blackout in Brazil, caused by a technical problem in Itaipu dam, the second-largest hydroelectric power producer in the world (Yahoo news here).

It was very weird and a bit scary to realize how dependent we are on eletricity. For hours there was no TV, no radio, no computer. Some cellphones weren't working and despite my notebook being ok, it seemed useless without internet.

I was at home when it happened and I prayed for those people who were out of their homes at that time. I imagine how many of them were in the subway, in the elevator, at the office, alone on the street. I remembered people in hospital and all kinds of situation in which people are highly dependant on electricity.

I took that time to think and I realized we should be always ready to live with little, even though the media keeps saying we need more and more, in this endless consumption world.

I remember the day after the blackout some people would complain about missing a TV show, or not being comfortable without air-conditioning.

But I could only think we should always be grateful for what we have, even though sometimes it seems to be difficult.  So my suggestion is whenever thinking we don't have enough, take a few minutes to look around and notice people in real need. 

Comentários

krystyna disse…
I wish you my dear friend a lovely time
Merry Christmas
and
Happy New year!
Anônimo disse…
Este comentário foi removido por um administrador do blog.
Anônimo disse…
Il semble que vous soyez un expert dans ce domaine, vos remarques sont tres interessantes, merci.

- Daniel
Unknown disse…
great thoughts!
Exam Cram disse…
Thanks for the mention! We're happy to hear you enjoy our interactive story. :) We think it'll be a fun way to pass the time.
Anônimo disse…
Good read and very thought provoking.. WE had a huge storm and lost power for two weeks here last winter, it was hard at first, but we ended up getting in a lot more family time....WE really do not need all these amenities we have become accustomed to.. sometimes I think that they get in the way of building relationships with our families. During the black out we played board games by oil lamp. had drawing competitions, and told stories by the fireplace....It was a beautiful time and by the end it was a blessing ..

Postagens mais visitadas deste blog

My testimony

Why am I happy today?