Making a parallel...

I've been practicing rowing for 2 weeks. Last week I had an interesting experience. The tank where the beginners practice (including me) was pretty full, except for a single spot in the front. The instructor called me. "Okay, it's just a spot", I thought. As soon as I sat there he said "You are the watch of this boat. Whatever you do, they'll copy you." Then he repeated the same instructions to the group.

Trying to avoid an embarassing moment I whispered "It's my third class, isn't it better if I exchange with someone more experient?". "No, you'll be okay." he replied. At this time, I became sure it wasn't going to be an easy task. I was right.

During the trainning, part of my mind was out of there. There were so many feelings going on at this time... It was just a simple trainning day, but the moment and atmosphere made this particular day greater than itself. I could only think of how similar sports and life can be sometimes.

Let me explain what I meant by that... In that day, I was nervous because I had the control of something I believed not to be prepared for. I knew every single movement would be copied by the others. I was afraid to fail and to be the responsible for their failures too. Okay, it was just a regular trainning day. Besides that, there was no risk in any mistake I could make. But my mind had experimented something else that did make me reflect...

Many times we are sitting in the first spot of a boat. A special one. Our family's boat. Our company's boat. Our marriage's boat. Not always we know what it does really mean. Not always we are prepared for it. But the fact is, in one moment of our lives, we all sit in the front of the boat.

So what we must remember is that when sitting in the first spot, we have some advantages, like control, some kind of 'power', status. But we certainly have even more responsabilities. Because we are in the front, we have the best view in the group, which means we have to give the direction, the rythym, the speed. Also our movements and attitudes are copied and followed by the others.

We are guides when we become mothers and fathers. Oldest brothers and sisters. Best friends, teachers, executives of big companies. There are tons of examples. The most important thing is to know that in whatever you do, you will have someone who is following your path. Someone who admires you, respects you, loves you. Someone who depends on you.

So remember to do always your best, being an example for those who are on your boat.

Comentários

Viola disse…
Dear Tathiana,
I found the link to your blog on my English class blog (bloggingenglish1). I just wanted to thank you for your words, they are very beautiful and so true!
Love,
Viola
Tathiana Sobroza disse…
Hi Viola,
It was a sweet surprise when I found a link to my blog in yours.
Thank you.
Hope we can keep in touch.
Take care,
Tathiana

Postagens mais visitadas deste blog

Changing your perspective

My testimony

What's the difference of being different?